Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause death in high concentrations. It's created when carbon-containing materials such as coal, wood, natural gas, propane, and kerosene are burned incompletely. The gas can accumulate in enclosed or poorly ventilated spaces, leading to illness and death.

It's extremely important to take precautions against carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms of CO poisoning can include headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, confusion, and loss of consciousness. If you experience any of these symptoms, get to fresh air immediately and seek medical help.

In general, one of the most common reasons for a carbon monoxide leak in your home is from a faulty appliance like a gas stove or furnace. If you suspect a carbon monoxide furnace leak in your home, it is important to take action immediately and evacuate the premises. Keep reading to learn what to do if you suspect a carbon monoxide leak in your home.

Evacuate your home and get help immediately.


If you suspect a leak or carbon monoxide poisoning, open the windows and doors to allow fresh air in. Do not use the stove, oven, or any other appliances. Aside from this, one of the first things you should do is get your family and pets out of the area immediately. You'll want everyone to evacuate the home to avoid any additional exposure to the gas. It's also imperative that you call 911. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is difficult to detect, so it's important to get away from it as quickly as possible. Once you've evacuated the area, stay outside until emergency responders arrive. If you're experiencing any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as headache, dizziness, nausea, or vomiting, tell the paramedics when they arrive. Do not return inside until you have been checked out by medical professionals.

Ideally, your carbon monoxide detectors will alert you to a problem before the situation becomes dire. It's extremely important that you take every alarm seriously and take the proper precautions. While your alarm might trigger for a number of reasons, it's important that you have your home checked any time the detector goes off.

Have your appliances inspected regularly.


If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak in your home, it is important to take action immediately. In order to prevent leaks and other problems, one of the most important things you can do is have appliances inspected regularly. This will help ensure that any leaks are detected and fixed before they become a problem.

An HVAC technician can inspect your furnace annually to ensure that your system is running as safely as possible. It's recommended that you have regular annual HVAC maintenance performed on your furnace in the fall before you require heat in the winter months. Aside from making sure that your equipment is safe, a tune-up will also ensure that all of the parts in your system are working correctly and that your furnace is as efficient as possible.

Overall, it is important to know what to do if you suspect a carbon monoxide leak in your home. Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that can cause serious health problems, so it is important to be aware of the signs of a carbon monoxide leak and know how to respond. If you suspect a carbon monoxide leak, evacuate your home and call 911.

In high concentrations, carbon monoxide gas can be fatal. That's why it's so important to take precautions against exposure and to know the warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. If you have any concerns about carbon monoxide in your home, be sure to have your heating system inspected by a qualified professional.