Protein powder is a common supplement that is used by people to achieve their health and fitness goals. People commonly believe that protein powder is animal-based. Well, we are here to bust that myth! Protein powder can also be plant-based! There are several brands like bgreen plant protein powder that offer the highest quality of vegan protein.
People usually consume protein powder supplements in the form of protein shakes. What if we told you that you can use protein powder as an ingredient to make your meals as well? If you are someone who consumes protein powder on a daily basis and is bored of the same old protein shakes, we have some extremely tasty and easy to make healthy food options for you.
1. Protein Prolific Pancakes
Ingredients: Bananas (2 units), eggs (2 units), cinnamon (1 teaspoon), vanilla protein (3 scoops), olive oil (for cooking, as required)
- Use a blender to mix the bananas until they are broken down into small pieces; ensure that the mixture is not completely smooth
- Combine the rest of the ingredients - eggs, cinnamon and protein powder, with the bananas from the previous step, and blend till a smooth mixture is obtained
- Use a non-stick pan, let it stay on medium heat for a while, pour some olive oil, and add ¼ cup of the batter prepared
- Cook the pancake for about 2-3 minutes till bubbles start appearing, and flip it over
- Cook the other side as well, and voila, your pancake is ready!
- You can use different toppings like honey, maple syrup, peanut butter, chopped nuts or fruits, basis your requirement and preference
Vegan Alternative: Eggs are added to pancakes to make use of their binding properties. Mix one tablespoon of flax seeds and three tablespoons of water, and let the mixture sit for 5-7 minutes to use as a substitute of 1 egg.
2. Strawberry Protein Oats
Ingredients: Rolled oats (1/2 cup), skimmed or almond milk (1 cup), vanilla protein powder (1 scoop), strawberries (½ cup or as per taste)
- Add milk to a saucepan, combine the protein powder and mix it well over medium heat
- Once the mixture is warm, add oatmeal and cook over low heat for a duration of 5-6 minutes
- Remove the saucepan from the stove, add the berries, and serve the oatmeal fresh
- Not just strawberry, you can also use any kind of toppings including other fruits or berries, granola, dry fruits, and so on as per your preference
3. Healthy and Protein Wealthy Waffles
Ingredients: Protein powder (1 scoop), flour or powdered rolled oats (3 tablespoons), egg (1 unit), baking powder (1 teaspoon), water, coconut oil
- Add the dry ingredients - protein powder, flour and baking powder, in a bowl and mix
- Combine the dry ingredient mix with the egg, and mix well; you can use applesauce in place of eggs as a vegan alternative
- You can add water to gain a slightly thinner consistency but ensure that batter does not become too runny
- Spray some coconut oil on the waffle iron, pour the batter, and let it cook
- You can top your waffles with maple syrup, berries, chocolate and chips, granola, chopped nuts, and other ingredients
Tip: You can still make waffles if you do not own a waffle iron. Just use a grill pan!
4. Protein Pizza
Ingredients: All purpose flour (1½ cups), greek yogurt or dairy-free yogurt (1 cup), protein powder (1-2 scoops), salt (½ teaspoon)
- Add the flour, protein powder, yogurt, and salt to a mixing bowl; knead the ingredients into a dough
- If the dough becomes too thin, you can add more flour, and if it becomes too thick, add more yogurt
- Once done, place the dough back in the bowl, cover it with a cloth, and let it rise for about 1-1.5 hours
- Remove the cloth and punch down the dough, roll it out as a base for the pizza, and bake at 200 degrees for 4-5 minutes
Tip: Excess pizza dough can be frozen and stored for later use.
5. Brownie Points for Protein Rich Brownies
Ingredients: Peanut or almond butter (½ cup), cocoa powder (¼ cup), egg (1 unit), protein powder (1-2 scoops), baking powder (1 teaspoon) sea salt (½-1 teaspoon), chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl, and mix until a smooth mixture is obtained; the egg can be substituted with one standard size mashed banana
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees, grease the baking pan or add parchment paper, and pour the entire mixture into it
- Bake the mixture in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes
- Once the brownie is cooked, take it out of the oven, let it cool, and enjoy the deliciousness
Tip: You can know that the brownie is completely cooked when a knife inserted right in the middle of the same comes out completely clean
Protein powder mentioned for each category can either be unflavoured or flavoured, based on how you want these foods to taste. In addition to the ingredients mentioned above, you can add other healthy contents to balance out your meal based on your fitness goals.
Do tell us about your favourite recipes in the comments below!